What is local SEO?
It is a Search Optimization technique that helps local businesses show up at the top in local searches. For example, if you are searching for a Pizza place near me, Plumber near me, a Construction company in Dallas, etc. the businesses that show up at the top of the search result page in the local listing are optimized using a technique called Local Search Optimization.
What does Local Search Optimization involve?
Local SEO uses a variety of strategies to get the site ranked in local search results:
- Cleanup local directory entries for NAP (Name, Address, Phone) consistency
- Verify & Claim Google My Business (GMB) listing
- Verify & Claim Bing Places for Business page
- Submit to Local Data Aggregators such as Localeze, InfoGroup, Acxiom & Factual
- Submit to Local directories such as Yelp, Insider Pages, Hotfrog, & several other industry-specific directories
- Write localized content on the website
- Setup system to gather customer reviews
Google My Business (GMB)
Google My Business is an easy-to-use marketing tool. It is used by businesses and organizations to manage their local online presence. It includes Search and Google Maps information. Businesses can post pics, store hours, services they provide, and any information they want to communicate with their prospects and customers.
Why Local Search Optimization?
- Local search trends are stronger than ever and they’re growing!
- Businesses catering to the local target market can not afford to ignore this strategy, especially if they have one or more brick-and-mortar location(s)
- More conversions* for Less Traffic – Over 75% of conversion rate among mobile phone users on the go searching with phrases such as: where they can eat? who can fix their appliances? what are the fun activities around? when is the store closing? etc.
- Most of these users are looking locally for these places, oftentimes with “near me” tag
Compelling Statistics to consider Local Search Optimization:
- Mobile Internet is Growing – Over 50% of global traffic is coming from mobile users. It’s about 10% up in the last two years. These are the users trying to find the best local businesses while they’re on the go
- Only 44% of businesses have claimed their Google My Business listing. It’s free to claim your listing on Google My Business, Bing Places for Business, and on hundreds of other online business directories. That means a free online presence for your business!
- Traditional advertising media is declining. In fact, only 20% of adults get news from local newspapers. Recent figures show some local newspapers have lost 80% of their readership in the last 20 years. Why? Because more and more people are turning to the other platforms on the internet for their local news and information about local businesses
*conversion in marketing refers to an event of prospect/customer taking an action in response to your call. It may be to download an article, buy a product, or fill out a form on your website.
About the Author
The Best Digital Marketing Insight and Advice
The WSI Digital Marketing Blog is your go-to-place to get tips, tricks and best practices on all things digital
marketing related. Check out our latest posts.
We are committed to protecting your privacy. For more info, please review our Privacy and Cookie Policies. You may unsubscribe at any time.