In the previous post I shared with you tips on how to determine whether or not Mobile Marketing fits into your overall marketing strategy. By now, you have done your research in the industry and determined that Mobile Marketing is relevant for your business. If you are ready to adopt Mobile Marketing into your business marketing plan, here are the next steps.
- Define the goals for your marketing campaign(s) ? generate leads, retain existing customers, offer promotions, improve brand awareness, loyalty programs, etc.
- Research your target market
- Determine which channel(s) is(are) effective and relevant to reach? your target market/demographics & how to integrate them
- Design & implement your campaign with carefully crafted marketing message
- Keep the campaign exciting with prizes, fun games, etc. to make your customers to want to come back to participate
- Measure the results of the campaign and use the data to further optimize the campaign
Mobile Marketing Strategies
There are multiple mobile marketing channels available to run your campaign(s). Few channels that you can consider are:
- SMS (Short Message Service)
- MMS (Media Message Service)
- Mobile Web Sites
- Mobile Applications
- QR Codes
- Location Based Services
This strategy is used to send out simple text blasts to consumers regarding an event reminder, event sign up, short-term promotion, etc. If you are considering this strategy, always be sure to use consent-based list and give consumer an option to opt-out of this communication. This strategy particularly works well for businesses such as restaurants, spas, night clubs, happy hour event venues etc. to? send out event reminders, discount coupons, etc.
This strategy is used to send out text, or media such as slideshow, audio and video to mobile phones. This can work for any business that sells products. They can attach image of the product they are promoting or personalized video message about the product, in marketing messages.
3. Mobile Web Sites
Mobile websites are websites that are compatible with hand held devices. Due to limitation in the size of screen and small space for keys, it becomes very difficult for users to navigate your website that is designed for desktop/lap top computers. In order to improve user experience in browsing your website on handheld devices, you have to make sure that the website is compatible. Before designing a mobile website, Identify 4 or 5 main functions that are going to be handy for visitors when they are on the go. These functions are going to drive your mobile website. Do not go with the quick fix option of using third party tool that allows you run your main website through to generate skinnier version of the site. This does not serve the purpose.
4. Mobile Apps
Mobile applications are application software developed for hand held devices. These can be downloaded from software distribution platforms. Mobile apps are useful when you want to promote specific products/services in your business. Few tips on how you can use mobile apps for your business:
- Allow customers to download coupons
- Earn reward points through loyalty program
- Promote events that you are sponsoring
- Allow customers to communicate with each other about your products and services.
- Build brand awareness by selling on mobile software distribution platforms
5. QR Codes
QR Code (Quick Response Code) , also known as 2D bar code that stores information horizontally and vertically. QR codes can store up to 7,089 characters that can be encoded in the form of text, URL or other data.
In order to make use of QR codes, smart phone users need to download QR code readers compatible on their smart phones. Once they have the reader, all they do is to take a picture of the QR code with the reader.? Few ways you can use QR codes effectively for your business.
- Send customers to company webpage for that product
- Coupon page
- Send a text message to accept an offer, etc.
QR codes are still catching up in the US. These are widely used by restaurants, packaging companies, real estate agents, automotive industry, and many othe B2C industries. B2B industries need to define clearer goals, before they start using QR codes for marketing.
6. Location Based Services
Location-based mobile marketing is a great way to link social media and mobile marketing campaigns together. Location-based social networks such as Foursquare, Loopt and Gowalla allow people to interact, share and recommend places based on their physical location.
Before you start incorporating one or more of the mobile marketing strategies listed above, invest time in learning how the new strategies blend with other online marketing campaigns that you already have in place. If you don?t have a in-house resource to put together a integrated strategy, seek help from a professional. You can enhance the results of your campaign by integrating mobile marketing strategies into your overall strategy. Some of the benefits of this integration are:
- Consistent brand experience
- Reduce costs by identifying less profitable marketing channels
- Provide customers with multiple ways to connect with you
About the Author
The Best Digital Marketing Insight and Advice
The WSI Digital Marketing Blog is your go-to-place to get tips, tricks and best practices on all things digital
marketing related. Check out our latest posts.
We are committed to protecting your privacy. For more info, please review our Privacy and Cookie Policies. You may unsubscribe at any time.