If you are a business venturing into Mobile Marketing world, choosing between Mobile Web Site and Mobile App is a difficult task, unless you understand the pros and cons of each. With this knowledge you can better evaluate the benefits of the two options and relate them to your business needs. This post will help you in understanding the two options better, so you are better informed when it is time to choose between the two.
Mobile applications are application software developed for hand held devices. These need to be developed using the native code on the device platform. Most popular platforms are from Google (Android) and Apple (iPhone).
- Apps use native code on the mobile device. Using native code usually results in higher performance
- App is distributed through native app stores and potentially enhances distribution
- Apps can work offline & launch on Single click? from an icon
- Apps can help build? customer loyalty & can bring repeat customers
- Apps can utilize native functionality of Smart Phones (camera, gyroscope, and push notifications). This offers richer functionality
- Apps need to be developed for each mobile device platform. This can easily drain your resources.
- Apps require approval from each device app store. Revenue sharing with app stores such as iTunes & android market
- Apps don’t achieve success in App stores unless close to the top in the category
- Apps need to be pushed to customers via text or emails and require users to download. Also, require users to download updates
- Apps are not easily scalable
Mobile Web Sites
- Mobile Web Sites Can be designed to work on any device platforms
- There is no need to download websites. They can be found in Search Engines
- Mobile Web Sites are easier to support and maintain. Less expensive than apps
- Mobile Websites updated automatically. No need for downloads.
- You don?t need to get authorization from third party distributors and no Revenue Sharing
- Mobile Web Sites? need to be optimized to be found on search engines
- Cannot guarantee performance with Web Sites. Depends on how well the sites are built
- Offline browsing of web sites not available on all devices
- Mobile Web Sites cannot access all of the Smartphone?s native functionality (camera, gyroscope, and push notifications).
- Mobile Web Sites are limited in functionality
Now, your decision to choose between mobile websites and mobile app, depends on where you are in your business and how much resources you have to invest in marketing.
- If you are an established brand, you are better off implementing apps to add more value to your brand and increase customer loyalty. Since your customers already love your products, you can add some fun to their shopping, with feature-rich apps.
- If you are still in the process of establishing your brand, your best option is to go with mobile website with most important services that you offer, so you can provide more content/information on the web site for customers to learn about your brand. Use Mobile apps for promotional campaigns, fun games, etc. to retain the customer base you build.
If you have further questions regarding Mobile Marketing options for your business contact us through our Digital Marketing Web Site.
About the Author
The Best Digital Marketing Insight and Advice
The WSI Digital Marketing Blog is your go-to-place to get tips, tricks and best practices on all things digital
marketing related. Check out our latest posts.
We are committed to protecting your privacy. For more info, please review our Privacy and Cookie Policies. You may unsubscribe at any time.